– Dolphins are dying more frequently than ever before because of the consequence of human activities. Among them:
– They get caught in fishing net quite often. Usually, fishers are not targeting dolphins, but commercial species which are also the prey of dolphins. Gillnets, trawls, and longlines are some of the most dangerous fishing devices that trap and kill dolphins.
– Dolphins also die frequently because of the ocean pollution, either by poisoning or by eating drifting garbage.
– Other times these cetaceans die as result of beach strandings which some think are caused by noise pollution.
– Finally, some industries intentionally kill dolphins for commercial purposes. While protected in most parts of the world, some countries invoke their ancestral customs to kill an insulting number of dolphins every year.