There is not a single scientific explanation about why dolphins jump in the air.
Some of the theories include:
– Dolphins jump in the air to save energy as it consumes less energy traveling through the air than through the water.
– Dolphins jump to locate some other pod or to find food by looking at the water for signs of food like feeding birds or any other indication of food location.
– Dolphins do it to communicate to other dolphins or pods to hunt together or for another purpose.
– Dolphins jump only for fun.
– Dolphins jump to get rid of parasites.